Profiles, roaming and roving profiles

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Thu Jan 11 17:26:56 GMT 2001

> so, what about storing and retreiving roaming profiles to/from samba
> server?
>
> I'm using samba 2.0.7, everything works fine except roaming profiles. My
> samba server is connected at 100Mbps ethernet, has fast UW SCSI disk,
> etc., but it's slow to deliver profile to workstation (NT4). Logons are
> slow as unusable, many times I can see on workstation something like
> "Cannot load your roaming profile, trying to login with cached local
> copy"
>
> I've tried to move PDC to old PC running as NT4 server (133MHz Pentium,
> old slow IDE disk, 10Mbps ethernet), there was no problem, everything
> works.
> I think the problem is in my samba, could anybody help me how to
> optimize SMB to use for profiles?

How big are the profiles ? If you have users running Outlook and IE
(mozilla is also at fault here), and don't take specific actions to
ensure that the profile remains small (like moving the outlook.pst to a
local place and setting NT to ignore Temp Internet Files) profiles can
get very large.

Also relating to profiles, we seem to have our profiles not updating. If
I have removed icons etc from my desktop, and then log into another
machine, I get the old items back (even if removing them from the copy
in the netlogon share while I am logged out).

Also, has someone got a solution to the localized shortcuts problem
(where shortcuts made on another machine don't work)?

Buchan
Cellphone * Work               +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497