samba authentication

Petter Abrahamsson Petter.Abrahamsson at mobilenews.ch
Wed Jan 10 08:54:53 GMT 2001

Hi,

I'm having the same kind of problem with our office system. I just
recently switched over to Samba 2.0.7 from having been using NT Server
4.0. The NT machine was setup to be PDC at installation and since
(correct me if I'm wrong) it can't be set to be a backup domain
controller without reinstalling NT, it was set to a new domain and the
Samba server was setup to be PDC, using the old domain name from the NT
server. All users are using Windows 98 to login and they too, usually
have to try several times before they are logged in.
Is it possible that there is some sort of conflict between the NT server
and the Samba server?
Or maybe I've missed some important step in the configuration. Here's
the smb.conf

[global]
   workgroup = MNC
   server string = Samba Server %v
   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
   printcap name = lpstat
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
   os level = 65
   domain logons = yes
   logon script = scripts\%U.bat
   wins support = yes
   name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
   dns proxy = no
   domain master = yes
   domain admin group = @smbadmin
   status = yes

I skipped the shares and the printers here.

Thankful for any help I can get. I would prefer to solve this problem
rather than switching back to using NT.
Thanks in advance

/petter

--