Virus scanner for samba file server

Makis Marmaridis a9700671 at sp4.macarthur.uws.EDU.AU
Sun Jan 7 11:56:26 GMT 2001

> Where I work, we use GNU wget to mirror the appropriate directories
> from McAfee's FTP server to a local server,

This sounds like a good idea especially if you have a lot of clients that
rely on those updates.

> To move back on topic, we also use those files to update the .dat
> files on our samba servers - we have no guarantee that all the clients
> have up-to-date anti-virus software installed (one of the problems of
> working in a university where much of the IT support is devolved to
> the departments).

I can relate to that! I work at a university as well...
The situation I was referring to though in my original email was with
respect to a tight lab environment where one can make sure that all the
clients run the same version of the antivirus program.

> The only issue is that the Unix-based scanning is not on-access (as it
> would be on Windows), but instead is a job that has to be scheduled.

Very true, this is where the antivirus program on the client machines proves
useful!

Cheers,
Makis.