"No mapping between account names and security IDs was done."

Stokes edmundo at moscow.com
Sun Jan 7 03:51:12 GMT 2001

Well, I tried the suggestion below and I still get the same error.  I *know*
the root account info is correct, and before each attempt I removed the
machine account entry from my smbpasswd file and re-added it
(smbpasswd -a -m MACHINE).  Then I wiped everything again and reinstalled
using today's CVS code, and tried adding a Win2k box using the default
smb.conf file from the PDC HowTo.  Still, same error message.  Also tried
same procedure with a different win2k box, same error.

Here's my question, since nobody seems to be familiar with this error
message:  What should the entry for the machine account look like in the
private/smbpasswd file?  In the past I was able to add win2k machine using a
FreeBSD server (like, a month ago), but then my server crashed and I had to
reinstall the OS and everything...

any suggestions?  Anyone?  I really need to get this worked out and get
these win2k boxes to join the domain.

thanks,
Stokes

> I received this too, then I download the latest HEAD cvs, compiled, and it
> worked fine.
>
> Oh, btw, I did stumble a little, because after compiling, d/l, compiling,
> d/ling again, etc.. I finally discovered.. I forgot to delete my old
files.
> I have the RPM version of samba which installed executables in /usr/sbin
and
> I had my custom configured samba, that places the files /usr/bin,
/usr/man,
> /usr/lib, etc.... Only I did change smbpasswd and smb.conf to be located
in
> /etc, instead of /usr/etc... so now that I located all my old samba
stuff...
> (find / -name smb) and (find / -name nmb) I deleted the files, and
> re-installed my cvs builds, and all worked fine.

Pro*