2.2alpha1 - Using as login server for Windows 2000 machine(s)

Jade E. Deane moose at riven.net
Sun Jan 7 02:04:46 GMT 2001

Greetings!

I have the following simple setup:

A Linux (2.2.16-22) RedHat (7) machine running 2.2alpha1, as the "PDC" and a
OpenBSD (4.2) machine acting as a server only.  The other machine is a
Windows 2000 Pro.

After reading http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au/samba/samba-pdc-howto.html in
great detail, I have setup an appropriate config almost verbatim to the
examples in Mr. Bannon's document.

When attempting to assign a Windows 2000 Pro workstation to the domain (i.e.
System Properties/Identification Changes) I received the following error:
"The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials."

The user "root", who is in the adm group specified in the config, was used
as the "account with permission to join the domain".

Also, there is a <workstation>$ account created in /etc/passwd and
<samba>/private/smbpassword.

Ideas and suggestions are most appreciated.

Jade