RPC failed/No mapping...

Armand Welsh armand at welshhome.org
Sat Jan 6 00:43:33 GMT 2001

# Samba SMB password file
apwelsh:502:numbers:numbers:[U          ]:LCT-3A53E2B9:
craig:503:numbers:numbers:[U          ]:LCT-39C6AC93:
valerie:505:numbers:numbers:[U          ]:LCT-39C6ACA3:
root:0:numbers:numbers:[U          ]:LCT-3A3876AE:
NELSON$:506:numbers:numbers:[W          ]:LCT-3A387A97:
nrfan:507:numbers:numbers:[U          ]:LCT-3A47951C:

also, passwd:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
apwelsh:x:502:506::/home/apwelsh:/bin/bash
craig:x:503:507::/dev/null:/bin/false
justin:x:504:508::/dev/null:/bin/false
valerie:x:505:509::/dev/null:/bin/false
NELSON$:x:506:500:NTMachine:/dev/null:/bin/false
nrfan:x:507:511::/home/nrfan:/bin/bash

and, group:
root:x:0:root
apwelsh:x:506:
craig:x:507:
justin:x:508:
valerie:x:509:
machines:x:500:
NTadmins:x:510:root,apwelsh
nrfan:x:511:

(filtered to protect my system :)  )

now, what I do, is I delete the machine entry from smbpasswd, and the I add
it manually, as the FAQ states.  After creating the entry manually, I also
delete the root user entry from smbpasswd.  Then I create a new root user
entry, "smbpasswd -a root", then just to be safe, I use "smbpasswd -e root",
and lastly I set a password for root with "smbpasswd root".  Creating the
machine trust account, is as simple as "smbpasswd -a -m NELSON$" (from the
FAQ).

Then I reboot the win2K machine, log in locally as administrator, join the
computer onto the domain, when it asks for the domain, I enter the domain,
in all upper case, when it asks for authentication, I enter root for user
name, and the password I created with smbpasswd for root.  Sometimes it
doesn't work 1st try.  If it failed, then I just try again.  After a few
tries, it joins me into the domain.