Automatic machine account setup

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Fri Jan 5 05:01:37 GMT 2001

At 05:40 AM 1/5/01 +0100, Christian Hergl wrote:
>So I altered the following line of the smb.conf:
>
>"add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
>/dev/null -s /bin/false %m$"
>
>into this:
>
>"add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c NTMachine -d
>/dev/null -s /bin/false %m$ && /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a -m %m$"

Hmm... Cute. smbd acutally does the adding to smbpasswd stuff itself,
although that is a part that a lot of installs have had trouble. I'm sure
JFM did not intend it to work that way but, gee, if it works it might keep
things going for a while.

The -n flag is to stop the RedHat silly idea a creating a group for every
user. I don't thing too may other systems need it.

>there without the -n flag. The group "machine" must exist, or you get

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au