USING WIN NT SERVER WITH PROXY SERVER

Armand Welsh armand at welshhome.org
Wed Jan 3 21:56:42 GMT 2001

winsocks proxy, works only with the winsock wrapper, that encapsulates
packets, and sends them to the proxy server, to be de-encapsulated, and
transmitted out, as if the server was the client.  This is a very powerfull
function, as this method supports tcp, and udp, w/o special helper apps, and
will even work on ipx networks, since it a winsock replacement/wrapper.
Anything that uses winsock on windows, can work with winsock proxy.  This is
a microsoft only service, so don't try to get it working on unix, unless you
know how the winsock proxy client works.

Socks proxy, is a fully functional, non-authenticating socks 4 proxy server,
that only supports ftp, telnet, http, and (i think) gopher.  So as you can
see, it's not going to work with real-audio, or other apps of the non-web
client nature.  This proxy service, does allow for an ACL to determine what
ip addresses may use the socks proxy.  it's simillar to any other firewall
acl for authorization.

WebProxy, is an authenticating (by optional config option) http proxy
server.  It can authenticate against the windows accounts, via either NT
Challenge/Response method, or Clear Text method, depending on the IIS
authentication settings.  So long as the IIS service allow clear text
authentication, then you can use a non-Internet Explorer Browser, and
authenticate against the proxy server.   If anonymous access is allowed in
IIS, and the Web Proxy service does not require authentication, or rather,
permits the everyone group access to the web proxy service, then any
application that supports proxy servers will work, as the proxy server won't
ask for authentication.  Using applications designed to use an
authenticating http proxy server doesn't usually work, as the authentication
is not very standard.  It works by letting the proxy server request a
username/password, or passing as part of the proxy server parameter.  Where
the proxy settings of your web prowser ask for the address, enter in
http://user:password@proxy.server.address and set the port to port 80

Also, set the socks server to address to: proxy.server.address, and the port
to port 1080.  the socks server will work for all you web client functions,
if the client supports socks/proxy features.  but it will not work for
command line ftp, or telnet, etc.... for these, you need the winsock proxy,
or a special utility to encapsulate your socks requests and send them to the
socks proxy on port 1080.   But again, you are limited to only telnet, ftp,
http, etc...