problem: browse list, two subnets, samba 2.0.7, windows 2000

Martin Thomas mthomas at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Wed Feb 28 21:27:18 GMT 2001

Hallo,

I've installed a samba server (2.0.7) in a subnet xxx.xxx.100.xxx
Samba acts as a wins server (wins support=yes, domain master=yes)
Two Windows 2000 prof. sp1 workstations are in subnet xxx.xxx.99.xxx
All machines are in the same workgroup, on the w2k workstations the
ip-number of the samba-box is added to the wins-server list. The ip-numbers
of the w2k boxes are mentioned in the hosts allow list in smb.conf

Doing smbclient -L "samba-computer" I get the samba server as master
for the workgroup, doing smbclient -L "w2k-computer" I get a w2k machine
as master. nmbd-log says samba ist local and domain master browser
for the workgroup (but only for subnet xxx.xxx.100.xxx of couse).

the problem: the samba server is not listed in the 'computers near me'
list on the w2k computers and the w2k computers are not listed in the browse-list
of the samba machine - I thought the wins server should be able to manage the
browse list for the workgroup accross different subnets. It might be a problem
with authentification because when I try to get the list of shares from the
w2k (smbclient -L "w2k-computer" as user root) the
"Error returning browse list: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)"
appears (is some kind of guest account needed in w2k?).

Accessing the Samba-Server via 'search computer' or \\sambabox\share is o.k.,
users in the smbpasswd-database can access shares folders and
printers without problems.

Any ideas how to join the machines from different subnets into one workgroup-list?
Is there a know problem with windows 2000 in this case?
Is there a tool to trace the browse list synchronistation?

Thanks,
Martin

---
Martin THOMAS, SysAdmin Inst. of Env. Eng., Univ. of Kaiserslautern, Germany