Changing your samba password from windows

Greg J. Zartman, P.E. greg at leiinc.com
Wed Feb 28 17:18:36 GMT 2001

I apologize for reposting this question, but it's driving me nuts.

I'm running samba 2.2 alpha2 as a PDC for Win 2k and win 98 clients.  I can
join machines to the domain and log in with different user accounts with no
problem.  What I can't seem to get working is users to change their domain
passwords from the client machines.  In Win 2k, and Win NT, this is done by
pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL and then selecting change password.  When I try to do
this on a Win2k client, I get the error message "on Win2k, I get this error
on the client "1783: The stub received bad data.".  My samba log for this
action says "rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_get_dom_pwinfo(2435)
_samr_get_dom_pwinfo: Not yet implemented."

The Samba FAQ seem to indicate that this functionality is possible, but the
log seems to indicate that it is not.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Greg J. Zartman, P.E.