Again: Win2k, joining domain

Greg J. Zartman greg at kwikfind.com
Wed Feb 28 16:25:48 GMT 2001

Sven,

My Samba PDC didn't "work" the first time I tried it either.  I'm not as
experience with Samba as I'm sure many of the others here are, but I think
the best way to get Samba going is to start simply.  Put only the minimal
configuration information in smb.conf file, fire it up and check the logs.
Use the smbclient and smbstatus utilities to test run samba on the machine
itself.  What I looked for is the following:

nmbd log:  Make sure that the log reports that nmbd knows which machine it
is and declares itself the master domain browser.  The first time ran the
daemons, I spent an hour or so trying to figure out what was wrong only to
find that the log.nmbd was reporting that nmbd didn't couldn't resolve it's
NETBIOS name.  Come to find out, the problem was with my DNS.

smbd log:  Verify that it is reading in all of your shares with no errors.

samba.log(the log that you specify in the smb.conf file):  This one seems to
be a little more difficult to read, for me, that the other two.  I think
alot of what is reported here only really makes sense to a person that knows
that the samba code says.  But, if samba has a problem performing a function
(e.g., joining a machine to a domain), it will report some kind of error
here.  If you can't figure out what it means, post it on the mailing list
and maybe someone else will.  Most of the time though, I've been able to
figure out what the errors mean.

smbclient:  make sure you can connect to local host with no errors using
smbclient -U% -L localhost.  This should give you a list of the current
shares, tell you the workgroup(or domain) name, and tell you that your samba
machine is the master.  If you get an error, then go back and look at you
smb.conf file again.

smbstatus:  I think this may be a redundant check, but if you get an error
when executing smbstatus, then you have a problem with your configuration.

Once you get positive results from the above, then try to join a machine to
the domain.  I recommend adding the machine manually the first time around.
Again, this is to keep the smb.conf file as simply as possible until you get
it working.  Once you've successfully joined a machine to your domain, then
you can add all of the security stuff and "bells and whistles".

Good luck.

Regards,

Greg J. Zartman