Editing the smbpasswd file

Greg J. Zartman, P.E. greg at leiinc.com
Wed Feb 28 00:09:53 GMT 2001

I'm sure the question that I am about to ask has to do with my lack of
familiarity with Unix based editors, but what is the best editor to use to
make manual changes to the smbpasswd file?  I am using the KDE kedit editor
and it seems to be fouling up my smbpasswd file.  After I make changes in
kedit, I get the error malformed password entry (uid not number!) when I use
the smbpasswd applet to do just about anything.

Along these lines, I thought Samba 2.2 alpha 2 allowed win users to change
their smbpasswd passwords remotely from the windows client.  Is this true?
If so, how do you do it (I would have thought it could be down by pressing
CTRL-ALT-DEL and selecting the change password option).

thank you.
Greg J. Zartman, P.E.