question about win2k and samba

Chris_Blessing at elementk.com Chris_Blessing at elementk.com
Mon Feb 26 21:14:51 GMT 2001

Hi there-

I'm hoping I can gather some additional information about Samba and Win2k,
so let me start off by asking a question. =)

I have a severe performance problem with my Win2k Professional box and my
Linux box.  The Linux box is running Samba 2.0.5a to (obviously) enable
shares to the client Win95/98/NT machines across our network.

Access is relatively peppy for those machines, however my (currently the
only) Win2k box suffers heavily whenever I try to do anything other than
list a directory's contents.  Copying files takes FOREVER, seriously, it
took me about 8 minutes to copy 300+ files totalling no more than 5mb.
Even directory listings are slow (but standable).  I'm wondering if anyone
else has encountered this type of behavior between Win2k and Samba on
Linux, and if so, if you have been able to help things out a bit with a fix
of some sorts.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Blessing
Web Developer - Element K Journals, LLC