Samba Passwords >8 characters? (Samba 2.2 CVS, Solaris 7, Win 2K client)

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri Feb 23 19:52:31 GMT 2001

Tim,
If you are using userlevel security, and encrypt passwords = no,
then your password length, etc is going to be governed by your
underlying UX os, as samba will be calling standard system routines
to authenticate your users against the /etc/passwd or nis files...
Otherwise, I don't know of a coded 8char limitation in Samba for
ENCRYPTED passwords that get hashed into the smbpasswd file.
Don