Windows 2000 and Linux

makis email (E-mail) m_marmaridis at email.com
Thu Feb 22 01:43:49 GMT 2001

>> The current version of Samba only supports mixed mode domains at this
stage
>> (domains controlled by NT 4.0). There is however work underway to build
>> support for AD in Samba so that it will be able to participate in a
Native
>> Win2K domain. This might take a little while still (expected in Samba
v3.x)
>> but stay tuned...

>Samba servers can be added to a native mode Win2k
>domain, where they act as downlevel NT4 servers (i.e. using Win2k's
>backwards compatibility NetBIOS layer).

For file, print sharing etc they will do a great job, but they will not have
a concept of the domain being Win2K controlled. So features like getting
them to authenticate against the domain user list etc that can be done in
WinNT 4.0 controlled domains will not be there.

In any case, in my previous response, I was referring to Samba participating
in a Native Win2K domain as a DC; and Samba can not do that at the moment
because it does not have AD support (yet!).

Provided you don't want to use the samba server as a domain controller, then
the existance or not of a Win2K domain is irrelevant anyway.

Regards,
Makis.