Win2k, joining domain

Pär Thoren t98pth at student.hk-r.se
Tue Feb 20 21:26:21 GMT 2001

Hi!

I have problem with making win2k joining a domain.
My configuration is:

win2k with service pack 1
Samba latest cvs 2_2 on FreeBSD 4.2
My smb.conf file:

[global]
        security = user
        status = yes
        workgroup = testing
        encrypt passwords = yes
        domain logons = yes
        logon script = scripts\netlogon.bat
        domain admin group = @wheel
#       add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
        guest account = smbguest
        share modes=no
        os level=65
        preferred master = yes
        domain master = yes
[homes]
        guest ok = no
        read only = no
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
#       oplocks = false
        locking = no
[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
        writeable = no
        guest ok = no

I´ve comment out the "oplocks = false" becouse testparm didn´t like
it. And I´ve also comment out the "add user script" since i add my domain
users manually.

Except that the configuration is as exactly the same as in the FAQ.

I add a user manually on the unix system then: "smbpasswd -a user" and
added the root account to smbpasswd with "smbpasswd -a root"

But when I as administrator on the win2k box tries to join the domain,
loging in as root, I get something like "The account you are using is a
workstation-account. Use a standard local user account to access this
server"

Is this a known problem? Is there anything I can do to make it work?

regards Pär