samba & NT administration issues

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Feb 20 09:45:17 GMT 2001

>3. There is "c:\temp" directory on WSs (name tells purpose) and
>"everyone" is given "RWXD RWXD" rights. The problem - a ordinary user is
>able to create directory there and he can remove all rights (for admins
>and system too) he wants on it. Then even with administrative user
>rights I am unable to delete dir or change the rights!
>  I added "creator-owner" with RWXD RWXD rights on c:\temp but it didn't
>worked. It turned out the true owner of new directory is not
>"creator-owner" but "account unknown" who obviously has full rights.
>This user was authenticated by samba PDC but can't be determined by NT
>WS (it refuses to add this "account unknown" in directory permission
>list of c:\temp and it can't be given any rights).
>I want to disable changing rights and ownership for files and
>directories in c:\temp for ordinary users or just be able to easy delete
>them. Maybe there is some workaround (some policy key I don't know!) for
>this.

This is a problem in understanding the difference between unix and NT
permissions. Administrator isn't like root. You need to give yourself
permissions on the files, by "taking onership" of them.

>4. The same linux box is squid proxy which is cascaded on another proxy
>in separated network. I want all users to be able to browse sites in the
>other network but only autenticated users to have access to the
>internet. Can you recommend me solution?

Look into auth_smb for squid authentication off a PDC (samba or NT), and
normal acls for squid ...

Buchan
Cellphone * Work               +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497