WinME won't login to Domain

Witness bmeyer67 at calvin.edu
Sun Feb 18 17:31:04 GMT 2001

> At 04:36 PM 2/17/01 -0500, Witness wrote:
> >I'm running Samba 2.0.7 on Slackware 7.1. I realize PDC
> support is not
> >official, but would someone please help me.
> PDC support is not required for WinME, I believe, as WinME is
> simply an extension of Win9X ...

No it's not needed, but I do want to run one. Mainly for the experience.

> >When I login I get the following message:
> >"The logon server did not recognize your domain password, or
> access to
> >the server has been denied. Make sure you typed your password in
> >correctly, and then try again."
> >		[Ok]
> OK, so the login failed. It might be for a number of reasons.
> It would be helpful if you could provide more information.
> This would include:
> 1. A tcpdump trace of the network traffic when you are trying
> to log in.
> This can be obtained with: tcpdump -I eth0 -s 1500 -w trace.cat
> 2. The contents of log.nmb around the time you tries to log in.

both logs (smb & nmb) as well as the trace are attached.

> Looks to me like you should try adding
> 	wins support = yes
> I'm no expert on Windows networking, but that's what I have
> and my users Win98 machines connect with no trouble.

Will try this again. I don't need a wins server, and there isn't one on
my public network which just does broadcasts.

Thanks for the tips.

Benjamen R. Meyer

P.S. Used the trace command as you gave it. Don't know how to parse it.
Thanks for the help.