Is there a difference between alpha releases and CVS snapshots?

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Sun Feb 18 07:19:26 GMT 2001

At 05:43 AM 15/2/2001 +0800, Nick Urbanik wrote:

>The 2.2 PDC FAQ has existed for some months (as I recall), explaining
>how to use CVS snapshots as PDC for Win2k clients.  The alpha2 snapshot
>states in WHATSNEW.txt:
>
>     A known problem is this version of Samba will not act as a PDC
>     for Win2k clients
>
>However, alpha2 was released on 29 January 2001, long after the FAQ was
>written.  So is there a difference between alpha releases and CVS
>snapshots?

The FAQ is updated from time to time, nominally when a significent change
takes place. Mind you, with a new job and no access to a suitable test
setup yet, those updates have been a bit thin since Christmas.

The individual documents such as WHATSNEW.txt are very rarely updated as
changes and inprovements are submitted. Better to rely on firstly the
Mailing List, secondly the FAQ/HowTo.

Alpha releases are 'snapshots' taken on a particular day, the current CVS
will always be newer and in most cases better. The snapshots are really for
people who cannot, for what evere reason, access cvs. The FAQ and Howto
really ignore the snapshots.

David

David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083