Server power

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Sat Feb 17 08:42:07 GMT 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Mark wrote:

> hi, and thanks for this - its not so much CPU load I am concered about but
> the ability to read files stored on the server.  Any idea what kind of
> transfer rates you get when everyone tries to access the serveR?

Well, it really depends on what kind of network you will have
1Gb, 100Mb, 10Mb, switched?
Generally a server that runs at 100Mb in a swithed network with client at
10Mb runs no bad (I've tested with 50+ clients).
But If you think you will have really nuch trafic from the clients, thimk
of putting 2/3 100Mb cards (or 1Gb?) and take care of disk speed (A scsi
RAID5 for homes and RAID0 for the stored CDROMs will rock) IDE does not
scale on multiple access, while scsi do and really well.

--
Simo Sorce - Linux Systems Consultant
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel: +39 0348 7149179 - Fax: +39 02 700442399