rw- for one user r-- for all

Stokes edmundo at moscow.com
Fri Feb 16 18:15:57 GMT 2001

The best way I have found to do this is to put the users into different
groups.  Then, in the smb.conf, specify read list = @read_group and write
list = @write_group for that share that you need the restricted access on
(or you could just put the users' names there).

I used to do this for the shares on my server, but then I found that it's
even better to make the shares read only by everyone, and then create
another share that is writeable, but only accessible by the admin user.  In
that share, simply have symlinks pointing to those folders that you need
write access to.  This way you can be sure that no one can write to the
standard shares unless they have access to that admin folder with the
symlinks.  Remember that Unix file permissions apply no matter what!  That
is another way to let some read and others write.

Let me know if you need more help.

m stokes.