I give up (almost)

JBCurry jbcurry at hline.localhealth.net
Fri Feb 16 17:58:42 GMT 2001

You definitely get more attention if you yell "Hey, jerk, I'm talking to
you!" than to ask politely "Excuse me, but maybe you can help me?"

Although I'm sure the latter generally gets more useful results.

> I don't mean to minimize what the Samba product accomplishes for
> a heterogeneous environment. That is a really good thing, and a
> testament to the possibilities of the whole open-source movement.
> I do get very frustrated with the variableness of the combination
> of info from newsgroups, how-tos, FAQs, etc. of varying ages and
> purposes.
> My personal experience is that a solution converges much more
> quickly (even if it's "we can't do that") in the MS world.

I look at it this way:  I can go to McDonald's and determine faster what I'd
have for lunch than I could at a new gourmet restaurant with a huge and
diverse menu.  Doesn't mean it will taste as good, be as good for me, or
that I won't barf it back up again.
If I have the time, I go to the gourmet restaurant and learn the menu and
what's good to eat - or ask friends for their recommendation.  If I can't
afford the time, I'll grab McDonald's and suffer the gastrointestinal
damage, but at least I got lunch - I've made a choice appropriate for the
circumstances, but not necessarily in my best interests long-term.

By the way, my experience with the MS world is that they're too quick to say
"we can't do that".  Ironically, I've learned more about what you can make
MS products do from the Linux world than I ever did from the MS world.

> When I've spent most of the night grappling with a set of
> problems like this, composing an aggravated email helps to vent.
> And the Send button is located right next to the Save button in
> my email client...
> Note that no one really addressed the question of why 2.2
> wouldn't print (i.e., it won't here). That seems like not a small
> thing, no?

The people that participate on list servers generally have strong feelings
for a topic.  They want to help others enjoy the same experiences and
successes.  If they fail to do so for you, at least they're trying.
Remember that they're not under a service contract to help you.  They do it
out of the kindess of their heart.  Insulting their pride is not very good
repayment, and is sure to generate flaming.

In the Linux world there's endless options and places to turn to for help.
But that does present it's own host of problems - you have to be patient to
find the right source.

By the way, in spite of your stabs at Linux and this list server, it looks
as though some people are still offering their help, which I doubt I would
have done if I knew the answer to your problem.  There's something for both
of us to learn about humility from that...