Pulling user rights from samba to Windows NT servers.

Marc Harding mharding at ecwebworks.com
Fri Feb 16 15:13:31 GMT 2001

I have run into a fairly major problem here at work.  We are running Samba
2.0.7 in our live environment, and it has been very stable.  Our
development shop has just written a web based application which uses NT
users to authenticate.  It is on a NT4.0 (currently, but they want to put
it on Win2k) with IIS and SQL 2000.  They are trying to pull off of the
Samba box a list of users who should have access to the application.  This
has worked for them using an NT4.0 PDC, and now they are asking me for this
functionality from our Samba 2.0.7 server (or 2.2 which I am currently
testing from cvs).

 From the NT4.0 box they can pull down the users, but when they go back to
the permissions, it then says unknown user for all the users they had
previously granted permissions.  This is causing permission denied messages
on the application.

Has anyone had to deal with such a situation?  any ideas or solutions?

Thanks,

Marc Harding
mharding at ecwebworks.com