I give up

JBCurry jbcurry at hline.localhealth.net
Thu Feb 15 20:33:30 GMT 2001

Yesiree!  My time is worth quite a bit...  and it's a good thing Microsoft
is around to provide me with work so I get payed for my time!

For example, I was fortunate enough yesterday to spend 4 hours reinstalling
Office 2000 on a laptop because of repetitive system crashes with editing
functions, and none of the 50 million versions of Office 2000 CD's we have
seemed to be the one that was needed in order for the uninstall process to
complete.

I finally had to install Office 2000 Professional SR-1 on top of Office 2000
Standard so that it updated the installer, then I was finally able to
uninstall (which I still had to do because Office 2000 Pro wasn't the proper
license).  Then I had fun reinstalling Windows 2000 Standard since it was an
update version and demanded to see a license of a qualifying product, which
had been removed almost a year ago just after the original installation of
Office 2000 to make room on the hard drive.  So I had to track down the
original Lotus Smart Suite CD and install that simply for the purpose of
reinstalling Office 2000.  Fun, huh?

Yep, with a comparable smelly old Open Source software package I would've
been done in 15 minutes, and then how would I justify my paycheck?

Not to mention I'd have missed the 30 service calls I've had this week of
system lockups, fatal exception errors, flaky printing, and flaky startup
errors that happen for no other reason than it's Windows 9x.  Meanwhile, I
don't think I've rebooted my Linux box for about 6 months, now.  Man, if
everybody here was using Linux, I could be out of a job.

> After a whole lot of trying this and trying that (the this's and
> that's from HOW-TO, FAQ, newsgroup postings) I finally succeeded
> in getting a Win2K box to join the Samba PDC's domain. But of course
> I couldn't print.

What brilliance!!  Here, your company puts a Linux server in place, meaning
you'll have very little justification for maintenance and support tasks,
which will certainly put somebody's job at risk, and you have the stroke of
genius to use the Alpha version of Samba AND throw in Win2K clients to
boot!!  Now, that's quick thinking to maintain job security!!!

> The previous printer definitions in smb.conf didn't work anymore:
> there was always an error when trying to connect from the Win2k client
> to the printer on the PDC. And when I started trying to implement
> printers via the [Printers] share, nothing would work until I uploaded
> the proper driver - and that operation failed for some mysterious
> reason ("Access denied") after all of the files had been copied to the
> proper place (via the Add Printer wizard).
>
> The last straw was when my local logon profiles "disappeared" -
> if I logged on as anyone other than "root" to my Win2k client, I had
> no roaming profile and I had no local profile - I was a ghost.
>
> No thanks. I went back to 2.0.7 just to be able to get some work
> done. Next week, I get a new hard drive and start to leave Linux
> behind.

Yep.  'Coz you gotta justify that paycheck.  And what better way than to use
Microsoft products!  And, heck, you just pointed out one more good reason to
use Microsoft - all the wasted hard drive space and inefficient code
justifies the purchase of new hard drives, processors and memory!!  Talk
about a win-win situation!!

Man, you must make out like a bandit in Information Technology!!  I bet
Microsoft would hire you in a nanosecond!!!

<\sarcasm>