I give up

Michael Glauche mg at connection-net.de
Thu Feb 15 18:39:20 GMT 2001

--On Donnerstag, 15. Februar 2001 08:25 -1000 Michael E Osborne
<mosborne at jacads.com> wrote:

> My time is worth a great deal, which is why I turned to Samba in the first
> place. I'm looking forward to 2.2, but it's not ready yet.  We operate
> 24x7 and Samba "just works". One of my Samba servers has been running for
> 310 days with out a single glitch. That's what my users want,
> reliability. The time I've invested in learning Samba has been paid back
> many times over.
>
> Samba assists me in doing what I want to do where Windows tries to dictate
> how I should do it.

I can only second this. Samba is very good in the right places.

PDC support for any NT clients (4.0 or 2k) has allways been alpha, so your
either know that you are dealing with alpha software (i.e. do some test
installation,
see if it works for you, then stick with that version) or you just have
to use a different solluotion.

At our company we have one NT 4.0 PDC, who does NOTHING besides managing
users and serving profiles ... the rest are asorted samba servers (as
domain memebers).
We are quite happy with this kind of sollution, as it works rock-stable.
(of course some LDAP server together with a samba PDC would be REALLY
perfect,
or something else where sasl could store and sync its information .... :)

regards,
   Michael
--
Gewinn ein 66 GB Tape Drive !