Policies (Again) GROUPPOL.DLL

THSD Network Admin thsd at thsd.k12.ca.us
Wed Feb 14 17:21:32 GMT 2001

Jim.
Yes, group policies do work, but not using the implementation
used for NT.  We tried at our school to make a single config.pol
handle multiple groups within Samba with no success.  We took a
different approach with great success.

We wanted different policies for students, teachers and admins using
the group names "students", "teachers" and "wheel".  Within the smb.conf
file, we defined "netlogon" as follows:
	[netlogon]
		comment = Network Logon Service
		path = /home/netlogon/%g
		guest ok = yes
		writable = no
		share modes = no
		locking = no
		write list = @wheel

Then within /home/netlogon we make 3 separate directories named students,
teachers and wheel, and put a config.pol and login.bat file in each.
When making the policy file, just use the default user.  In this way,
each user gets a policy appropriate for his/her group as well as a group-
specific login batch file to map drives for that group.  To aid maintenance,
within the wheel directory we made symbolic links to the teachers and
students directories.  Therefore an admin could make policy changes from
a Win9x workstation.

This implementation has been in operation in 3 schools for 2 years.  We
are in the process of replacing our last remaining NT box with a Linux
box.  Overall we handle about 450+ accounts and have had no policy problems
using Win95 and Win98 workstations.  BTW, all our Linux boxes are RH 6.2
using Samba version 2.0.6.

	Mike Lamasney
	Network Admin
	Twain Harte-Long Barn USD