Policies (Again) GROUPPOL.DLL

JBCurry jbcurry at hline.localhealth.net
Tue Feb 13 14:42:26 GMT 2001

According to my book on System Policies (O'Reilly's "Windows System Policy
Editor", pg. 43), if a specific user policy exists then the group policy
will be ignored.  I don't know if that's true or not, as I've never tried
using both simultaneously.

On a specific user, make sure there's no user or machine policies and see if
the group policy begins to work for that user.

> I have grouppol.dll installed and configured as per the instructions.
> I've checked the ms website and everything looks OK.
>
> However, group policies still do not work.
>
> My windows 98 media has 2 versions of grouppol.dll, BOTH of which I've
> tried.

I'm assuming you have assigned the users to groups in your Unix group file
(i.e., /etc/group).  If not, you can use the command "groupadd" to add the
groups, then use "usermod -G" to specify the groups a user should belong to.

In your config.pol file, (on the server in the /netlogon directory), the
groups must match those listed in your Unix group file.

> Ver.1 (Part Of Poledit (tools\reskit\net))
> grouppol.dll, 11,776 bytes, 23 apr 1999
>
> Ver.2 (Part of Win98 (\win98\win98_61.cab))
> grouppol.dll, 32,768 bytes, 23 apr 1999

I've always used the reskit file.  And that should be a recent enough
version.

> Can someone tell me which one is the correct – all the previous postings
> simply say to get the working one !  Which is the working one ?
>
> (I've even used example configs, but these still give identical results)

Hope I was of some help.