"No mapping was done..." error - still!!

Morris Maynard morris at maynidea.com
Tue Feb 13 05:35:15 GMT 2001

Running Samba pre-3.0.0 (CVS at 8:22 AM EST 11 Feb) on RH Linux 6.2

I read the FAQ and the PDC HOW-TO and followed them religiously. Samba
compiles and runs fine. I can share shares and browse workgroups. But I
can't convince my Windows 2000 workstation to join the domain. Like so many
others, I get:

"No mapping between account names and security IDs was done."

I tried removing the machine from passwd and smbpasswd (with userdel and
smbpasswd -x), then adding them in again. I tried removing them and then
just running the network identification dialog - this successfully re-adds
the machine accounts to both files, but still the same error. I perused the
newsgroups and only found that sometimes the problem mysteriously goes away.
I changed the domain name, tried odd and even numbers of characters - no
help.

Due to the prevalance of this problem, I can't help but feel that there is
either a real bug or a serious useability "issue" here somewhere...