Does alpha2 work or not?

Nick Urbanik nicku at vtc.edu.hk
Tue Feb 13 05:07:09 GMT 2001

Dear folks,

Sorry, but I am still very confused.

Dariush Forouher wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Nick Urbanik wrote:
> >   1. Is alpha2 or is it not able to work as a PDC for Win2k clients (aka
> >      2.2 PDC FAQ and 2.2 PDC HOWTO)?
> All snapshots (including alpha2) have broken win2k pdc support.

Is alpha2 a snapshot of CVS?  But the FAQ existed a long time before alpha2.
So is alpha2 a "crippled" version of a CVS snapshot?  I am very puzzled.

> >   2. If not, then which dates did CVS actually work as mentioned in the
> >      2.2 PDC FAQ?
> IMHO it's fixed some days ago

But the FAQ has existed for a long time.  Is what it said wrong before 29
January 2001?

> >   3. How do I get the snapshots that work, since it seems that the
> >      snapshots that are provided don't work?
> via cvs, it's in the faq

I am still puzzled; alpha2 came out on 29 January 2001; the FAQ is clearly
older.  So if I download from CVS, then I have a snapshot of my own.  What is
the difference between a CVS snapshot that was downloaded on 29 Jan 2001 and
alpha2?  According to the FAQ, the CVS should work if it was downloaded on 29
Jan 2001, but alpha2 doesn't?

I am sorry to be so thick, but I am investing a fair amount of energy here,
and have built an RPM for alpha2.  I want to make sure that I am at least
starting off on the right foot.

--
Nick Urbanik, Dept. of Computing and Mathematics
Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (Tsing Yi)
email: nicku at vtc.edu.hk
Tel:   (852) 2436 8576, (852) 2436 8579   Fax: (852) 2436 8526
pgp ID: 7529555D fingerprint: 53 B6 6D 73 52 EE 1F EE EC F8 21 98 45 1C 23 7B