Policies (Again) GROUPPOL.DLL

Jim Jarvie ntl-linux at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 12 23:39:33 GMT 2001

I have a network of around 1000 users, using Win98 logging onto a number
of Samba [2.0.7] servers.

I've checked the archives, read everything I can find, but *still* cannot
get group policies to work.  User policies are OK, default policies are
OK, machine policies are OK.

I have grouppol.dll installed and configured as per the instructions.
I've checked the ms website and everything looks OK.

However, group policies still do not work.

My windows 98 media has 2 versions of grouppol.dll, BOTH of which I've
tried.

Ver.1 (Part Of Poledit (tools\reskit\net))
grouppol.dll, 11,776 bytes, 23 apr 1999

Ver.2 (Part of Win98 (\win98\win98_61.cab))
grouppol.dll, 32,768 bytes, 23 apr 1999

Can someone tell me which one is the correct – all the previous postings
simply say to get the working one !  Which is the working one ?

(I've even used example configs, but these still give identical results)

Regards
Jim