read: policies not working.

JBCurry jbcurry at hline.localhealth.net
Mon Feb 12 22:25:20 GMT 2001

Since you said your clients are Win98SE, the file would be named config.pol
and placed in the [netlogon] share.  The permissions for the file and
directory have to allow users proper access.

Please note that you must be using domain logons for this to work.  Make
sure that your smb.conf file has the settings appropriate for a Primary
Domain Controller.  (domain logons=true, encrypt passwords=true, smb passwd
file=/wherever/your/smbpasswd/file/is, etc...)

> the policy reads that "Default User" will get a restricted
> desktop. not happening.

Also make sure there are no other policies for the specific machine, user,
etc... that may conflict with that policy.

> i disabled roaming profiles through the Win98 Workstation, by
> going to passwords and clicking on "one profile for everybody".
> will this affect system policies?

That wouldn't cause you any problems with using system policies.

> i created the policy through the Win98 Resource Kit's System
> Policy Editor. i disabled roaming profiles because downloading
> and uploading data everytime i log-off was getting annoying.
> is there a way to disable this through smb.conf also?

Don't know.  Can't think of why you'd need to.  You should be able to do
this in the policy, once you have it working.

By the way, you can reduce how long the transfer takes during logon/logoff
by limiting what's stored in the user's local profile directory.  For an
example, I believe that Internet Explorer by default uses quite a bit of
space in this directory, so just modify the settings to tell it not to.

Hope all this helps!