Point & Print & Permissions

Martin Radford martin at zamenhof.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 21:40:31 GMT 2001

> But what about the printer shares themselves, which I do not want to be
> public? A printer driver installation usually ends with printing a test page,
> and I do not want to allow a guest print connection. So wouldn't the driver
> installation utlimatively have to fail?

There's a tool in the NT Zero Admin Kit (ZAK) called con2prt, which
allows you to connect to a printer share from the command line.  This
looks after all the details for you (downloads the drivers, etc).  It
also allows you to disconnect the currently connected printers, and to
set a printer as the default.

This doesn't use the GUI, so you don't get any option to print a test page.

Martin
--
Martin Radford              |   "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_
martin at zamenhof.demon.co.uk | men just upload their important stuff  -o)