samba server BDC or workstation ?

Martin Foerster mafoe at sgi.com
Thu Feb 8 09:55:23 GMT 2001

Hi,

I added a samba server to our NT Domain with "security = Domain". Although I
added it as "workstation", it appears as BDC in Servermanager. That's
actually alright with me, but how 'should' it appear?
It works fine for over a week, until now.

The Problem now is, that without any changes some user (including me) get
"No Domain Controller found..." when logging in with the NT client.
I took a look in the samba logs, and found a log, for everybody who wasn't
able to log in successfully.
The log says the following....

 [2001/02/08 09:57:39, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog.c:(301)
  get_md4pw: Workstation DE-MAFOE$: no account in domain

So my workstation chose the Samba server to authenticate. Does that work in
general?
It seems, that whether WINS on samba is not working properly, or it's
because of the $ at the end of the machine name. There shouldn't be a $.
I had the same problem when I first started the server, but it was gone,
when I set the "os level" from 32 to 0.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Martin