profile destroyer

Mark Haney mhaney at info4cars.com
Tue Feb 6 17:12:27 GMT 2001

>> It has ocurred
for us when the registry almost reaches, or exceeds, the maximum size
specified.

I agree, I doubt multiple logins is a problem, even with roaming profiles,
which aren't specified as being the case in the original problem.  According
to all documentation from MS, a the registry size specified in the
workstation properties DOES NOT include the NTUSER.DAT hive.  This means if
oyu have 2MB registry space reserved that is free and your profile is 2MB,
you will see the profile 'blown away' and a default one used instead.

Even with roaming profiles, a copy of the ntuser.dat file is sent to the
workstation, not simply opened from the network location.  Please check
registry sizes and let us know.  I have run standard and roaming profiles
from NT and Samba DC's before and never had the problem _except_ when I
don't reserve enough room for my user hive.

Another cause I have seen is on a soft reboot and some extraneous data hangs
around in RAM and causes corruption, especially if the total amount of RAM
you have is pushed to the limit by NT just booting.