profile destroyer

Michael S. Hulet hulet at ittc.ukans.edu
Tue Feb 6 16:46:15 GMT 2001

We have the same problems occasionally.  My theory is, the profiles that =
=20
are "destroyed" happen when the user logs into two machines.  If this
user logs out of both machines at the same time, both machines will try  =
=20
writing to the profile directory (locking problem?).  If you load the
"destroyed" NTUSER.DAT in regedt32, you'll notice the permissions for this
registry are Administrators - Read and System - Full Control.  The user is
no longer the owner of the profile.  I can't stop it so I tell users who
login to 2 machines, they must be completely logged out of one machine
before logging out of another.  After losing their profiles a couple of=20
times, they learn.  For me, logging out of two machines at the same time
has been the only common factor when user's profiles are "destroyed".=20

Michael Hulet
Senior Network System Administrator
ITTC, University of Kansas