Joining a domain

Thomas Aeby aeby at graeff.com
Mon Feb 5 20:39:43 GMT 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Hmmm...I thought the syntax was something like
>
>    netdom /domain:<domain> member %COMPUTERNAME% /joindomain

This is true in fact. Netdom determines %COMPUTERNAME% correctly
if not passed on the command line though.

Unfortunately if I do not give user/password netdom just says

   Found PDC \\SUSIX
   Querying domain information on PDC \\SUSIX ...
   Access is denied

   You do not have access to the PDC \\SUSIX

> Of course, this assumes the initial machine trust account
> was created on Samba PDC already.

I created one with "smbpasswd -a -m testnt" (the machine is called
"testnt" ...) joining succeeds when performed the interactive way ...

> Change that to something non-alcoholic and your on :-)

Whatever you like :-))
This problem is a nightmare for me ...

Kind regards,
Tom
A large number of installed systems work by fiat.  That is, they work
by being declared to work.
		-- Anatol Holt