Joining a domain

Thomas Aeby aeby at graeff.com
Mon Feb 5 20:04:49 GMT 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Gerald Carter wrote:

> netdom should work.  I used to use it all the time.
> What error message are you getting?

The netdom ... member /joindomain allegedly works as one would
expect (no error messages, everything looks ok). But after joining
the domain

  - I cannot login as a domain user
  - netdom member /query says:
      Found PDC \\SUSIX
      Verifying secure channel on \\TESTNT
      The system cannot find the path specified

  - the workstation account's password is never changed

This is with Samba 2.0.7. I tried 2.2.0alpha1 too but did not dive into
extensive testing.

Maybe I am using netdom the wrong way? Since

	netdom /domain:whatever member /joindomain

keeps telling me that I have no access to the \\PDC I tried passing
a user/password. This makes netdom work without an error message but
without really joining the domain. Is this what I am doing wrong?

I owe you a bottle of wine if you can give me a useful hint!

Best regards,
Tom
Thomas Aeby, Kirchweg 40, 1735 Giffers, Switzerland, Voice : (+41)26 4180040
Internet: aeby at graeff.com                           PGP public key available
P: Ich kann doch (theoretisch) auch Menschen gefangen halten und trotzdem
   wissen ob die dann freiwillig mit mir Sex haben oder nicht?
M: Das nennt sich dann Heirat und Ehe!   -- Martin Freiberg in d.t.l.