Printers get paused on some print jobs

ctooley at amoa.org ctooley at amoa.org
Mon Feb 5 16:54:49 GMT 2001

I have Samba 2.0.7 installed and accepting Domain logins for my Win9x clients.
There are approximately 40 clients logging into the machine so it is not an
overworked installation.  I also have 8 - 10 print ques set up in the
/etc/printcap (depending on how many problems I'm having at the time) and
unfortunately I'm having problems getting some print jobs to print out.
Occasionally the print jobs don't print and the printers seem to go into a
"paused" mode that won't clear up until I manually clean out the que and restart
lpd.  This is getting rather annoying.

I'm not certain if this is a Samba problem, and lpd problem, or a problem with
the printer.  However, I am getting a lot of errors in the lpd logs that say
that it has lost the connection to the printer and it is restarting that
printer, which seems odd if it is still printing most of the time.

If anyone has any ideas on this I would be greatful.  I am also considering
changing spooling mechanisms so if you have a suggestion that would be good too.

Chris Tooley