'$' in hostname in /etc/passwd

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Sat Feb 3 23:30:41 GMT 2001

At 11:56 AM 2/2/2001 -0500, nrvale0 wrote:

>Hoping you can help with something that I did not find in the Samba
>PDC FAQ nor in the mailing list archives for samba-ntdom...

Samba 2.2 FAQ - under 'Establishing Connections' - 'I cannot include a '$'
in a machine name'.

>In regards to having a hostname entry in /etc/passwd for each host that
>will be connecting to the Samba PDC; what if it is just impossible to
>have the '$' in the hostname? Is there some work around?
>
>Our user management software checks usernames for special characters
>and will not allow a username/hostname with a '$'. In addition, if I were to
>hand edit /etc/passwd, the user management software will overwrite the
>exiting /etc/passwd periodically and I would thus lose my hand edits.

More info please ! By you 'user management software' what do you mean ?
Something running on the unix box, something running to prevent the use of
samba by the sound of it !

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083