XP and Samba [homes] Problem

Marcel Kunath kunathma at pilot.msu.edu
Mon Dec 31 14:45:02 GMT 2001

Hello,

within this email I describe my problem situation I been chewing over the last
10 days. I searched google, newsgroups, Samba archives, Microsoft's support
pages and I couldn't come up with anything really helpful. I use this email to
summarize what I came upon. It seems nobody else is experiencing what I am but
this is a good way to document it for later use if it should reoccur for
somebody else.

I use SuSE 7.3 with my own compiled Samba 2.2.2 with acl support. Win9x/2000
have no trouble connecting and using network shares or the domain in any way.

I installed WinXP and

I can

- join the domain,
- log on as user of the domain,
- have my logon script execute properly,
- connect to group shares and
- access them properly

but I CANNOT

- connect and access homes shares or shares involving home directories from
WinXP Pro.

I receive the following error:

(driveletter):\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a
harddrive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk
is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your
network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information
might have been moved to another location.

I get this error on a fresh WinXP machine and on a WinXP with the latest
Microsoft patches and updates.

I found no references to such a problem in Samba archives whatsoever.

Microsoft support archive mentions nothing in regards to this except a small
similar note:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q266807

I have Microsoft's Euro patch installed.

A similar problem also exists for removable storage users:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=258801c18df6%24b32ac380%249ee62ecf%40
tkmsftngxa05

The problem exists for home shares mounted by the use of:

\\server\homes

and

\\server\username

and specifically shared home folders:

\\server\username-home

(e.g.

[username-home]
        comment = %U Home Directory
        path = /home/username
        valid users = username
        read only = No
        veto files = /.*/
)

All my shares are located under /home including group shares and the
permissions are:

mail:/var/log # ls -l /home
total 56
drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root         4096 Dec 26 18:07 .
drwxr-xr-x   19 root     root         4096 Dec 31 15:33 ..
drwxr-xr-x   11 anna     users        4096 Dec 24 17:48 anna
drwxrwxr-x    4 root     ntadmin      4096 Dec 20 14:21 cygwin
drwxr-xr-x   14 elizabet users        4096 Dec 30 17:45 elizabeth
drwxr-xr-x   13 katie    users        4096 Dec 30 09:53 katie
drwxr-xr-x   12 lachlan  users        4096 Dec 19 18:43 lachlan
drwx--x--x   33 marcel   users        4096 Dec 31 19:04 marcel
drwxrwxrwx    4 root     users        4096 Dec 28 16:09 ntprofiles
drwxr-xr-x    7 phillip  users        4096 Dec  1 16:25 phillip
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     users        4096 Dec 28 15:40 pine
drwxrwxr-x    6 root     ntadmin      4096 Dec 28 08:50 programs
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Dec  4 16:06 rsync
drwxr-xr-x    6 root     sharedri     4096 Dec 28 15:42 share-drive

If somebody can help I'd appreciate it. Even acknowledging that such bug even
exists would at least allow me to catch some sleep. My smb.conf is attached.

Thank you,

Marcel

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.1.29 (192.168.1.29)
# Date: 2001/12/28 16:27:22

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = OZLAND
        netbios name = MAIL
        server string = Samba %v on %L
        interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24 127.0.0.0/24
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        null passwords = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat debug = Yes
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
        time server = Yes
        keepalive = 30
        domain admin group = @ntadmin
        logon script = %U.bat
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon drive = z:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 33
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        kernel oplocks = No
        guest account = guest
        hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.
        printing = lprng
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
        lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold %p %j
        lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release %p %j
        queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p stop
        queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p start
        browseable = No

[homes]
        comment = %U Home Directory
        read only = No
        veto files = /.*/

[netlogon]
        comment = The Domain Logon Service
        path = /etc/samba/logon

[profiles]
        comment = NT Profile Storage
        path = /home/ntprofiles
        read only = No

[programs]
        comment = Windows and Unix Programs
        path = /home/programs
        valid users = marcel
        force user = root
        force group = ntadmin
        read only = No

[pine]
        comment = PINERC Directory
        path = /home/pine

[share-drive]
        comment = Network Share Drive
        path = /home/share-drive
        read only = No
        create mask = 0644
        guest ok = Yes

[ZEUS]
        comment = Network Printer ZEUS (HP LJ 6P)
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes