GURUS please read! NT 4.0 clients not able to modify profiles AT ALL!, part II

Greg Mader gmader at GeoAnalytics.com
Sun Dec 30 11:08:03 GMT 2001

 Hi All,

I found a workaround for this that is interesting.

If I create the inital user profile in Windows 2K, and then log in from NT,
everything works fine.  There is some file or difference in the Windows 2K
profile that is "more correct" than in NT.  Any ideas?  I am still hoping to
hear some theories or solutions.

Greg Mader

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Mader
To: 'samba-ntdom at lists.samba.org'
Sent: 12/29/01 1:53 PM
Subject: GURUS please read! NT 4.0 clients not able to modify profiles AT
ALL!

Hi all,

I have a Linux RH 7.2 box, with samba 2.2.2, acting as a PDC.  It
behaves
perfectly with Win 2K clients, but with NT 4.0 boxes, they cannot modify
their desktops, save files to the desktop, etc.
I get the "welcome to windows NT" splash screen when it comes up, and
there
is no checkbox to tell it not to do that in the future.

I can log in, browse, and otherwise do normal stuff.

Also, there is not a .pds extention to the directory.  I have seen some
docs
that the user profiles directory needs a .pds extention.

All client machines are NT 4.0 SP 6

Here is the smb.conf.
[global]
	netbios name = stego
	workgroup = NIPC_domain

	os level = 64
	preferred master = yes
	domain master = yes
	local master = yes

	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes
	domain logons = yes

	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g 99 -d /dev/null -m -s
/bin/false %m$

	logon script = \\stego\netlogon\logon.bat

	domain admin group = @root

	wins support = yes
	time server  = true
	guest account = lab1