GURUS please read! NT 4.0 clients not able to modify profiles AT ALL!

Greg Mader gmader at GeoAnalytics.com
Sat Dec 29 12:01:06 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I have a Linux RH 7.2 box, with samba 2.2.2, acting as a PDC.  It behaves
perfectly with Win 2K clients, but with NT 4.0 boxes, they cannot modify
their desktops, save files to the desktop, etc.
I get the "welcome to windows NT" splash screen when it comes up, and there
is no checkbox to tell it not to do that in the future.

I can log in, browse, and otherwise do normal stuff.

Also, there is not a .pds extention to the directory.  I have seen some docs
that the user profiles directory needs a .pds extention.

All client machines are NT 4.0 SP 6

Here is the smb.conf.
[global]
	netbios name = stego
	workgroup = NIPC_domain

	os level = 64
	preferred master = yes
	domain master = yes
	local master = yes

	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes
	domain logons = yes

	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g 99 -d /dev/null -m -s
/bin/false %m$

	logon script = \\stego\netlogon\logon.bat

	domain admin group = @root

	wins support = yes
	time server  = true
	guest account = lab1