XP and Samba share drive error

Marcel Kunath kunathma at pilot.msu.edu
Tue Dec 25 14:01:03 GMT 2001

another update.

Ok an update.

I can access the samba machine fine. \\netbios_name works. User logon and
script excecution works fine too. I do not have large file support. I don't
ever have big files really.

I CAN oddly enough also mount any shares which are not home directories and
read/write in regards to them.

I can mount \\server\homes or \\server\username or \\server\username-home but
not functionally access them:

> > (driveletter):\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It
> > could be on a harddrive on this computer, or on a network. Check
> > to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are
> > connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If
> > it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved
> > to another location.

Here are the important parts of my smb.conf

#\\server\homes or \\server\username doesn't work
[homes]
        comment = %U Home Directory
        invalid users = guest
        valid users = username