[ANNOUNCE] End-Of-Life for Samba-ntdom List on Jan. 7, 2002

Adam Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Dec 21 12:42:05 GMT 2001

>>I for one am disappointed to see this list go.  The mainstream samba
>>list see ALOT of traffic (almost too much to keep up with) and most of
>>it seems to be people asking the same questions OVER and OVER.
>Understood, and we have considered the noise-to-ratio volume.
>The problem is that currently people on samba & samba-ntdom are
>talking about much the same topics.  It's just not feasible for
>the Team to support both lists.
>This list has somewhat become a duplicate of the main samba list.
>In fact, even some of the 3.0alpha testing feedback is coming through
>on samba at samba.org.

I expected this list to be shut down along time ago (around 2.x).  I'm on
the Samba list digested and this one as a non-digest.  This list used to
have a better signal-to-noise ratio,  but recently it's all become old hat
questions (Does it support WinY2k,  How to a set it up, etc...)  From what
I see there is no point in to seperate lists anymore,  we are no longer
using stuff everyone else doesn't dare touch.

I support this decision.

To the whole Samba team: Excellent work,  you guys have made being a
net-admin a tolerable profession. :)  All you guys are awesome.