Windows 2000 on Samba PDC

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Thu Dec 20 13:49:05 GMT 2001

"Filipi D. Vianna wrote:"

> Hey Guys,
>
> I was looking this thread because I would like
> to upgrade my NT4 workstations to Windows 2000,
> I also have one Samba PDC working pertly fine...
>
> I have installed one copy of the Windows 2000
> Professional sp2 on one of my workstations, but
> I can't add this workstation on my domain.
>
> I've created the machine account on linux.
> I've created the samba machine account.
>
> But when I'm trying to change from workgroup
> to domain, the system asks me for one username
> and password.

You need to have root in the smbpasswd file and when it asks for the
user name give it root and the password.

> I don't know what username should I put there.
>
> I read something about some script to automatic
> create the machine accounts on samba... but
> I don't use this scripts, I do create machine
> accounts manualy... Should this be my mistake?

Just manually edit the /etc files or yp map files. Then when you do the
join an entry will be created in the smbpasswd file.

> Is there something I need to change in my PDC to
> create the machine accounts for de W2K  machines?

There is a pdf file that comes with Samba 2.2.2,
Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf, it is pretty close. There are a few syntax
problems. Also make sure you look at the DHCP-Server-Configuration.txt
file.

--

Regards,

David Highley		      Phone: (206) 669-0081
Highley Recommended, Inc.	FAX: (253) 838-8509
2927 SW 339th Street	      Email: dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Federal Way, WA 98023-7732	WEB: http://www.highley-recommended.com