profile permission problems

Russel Ingram ringram at acpl.lib.wy.us
Thu Dec 20 08:18:02 GMT 2001

I've seen this same problem posted a couple of times with earlier versions
of Samba as well as with 2.2.x but haven't found a solution.  The problem
I'm having is that certain parts of some of my users profile seem to be
unchangeable.  The easiest way to see it is by trying to map a connection
to a share.  When I do so it gives me the message "Cannot change your save
connections setting."  Other symptoms are "don't ask me again" type check
boxes in applications don't take and the Welcome to Windows NT splash
appears every time as if every login is the first login.  In a previous
post from someone with this same problem  it was noted that the users that
have this problem have ntuser.dat rather than NTUSER.DAT in their profile
directory.  This is also true in my case only he was able to fix the
problem by deleting the lowercase version of the file as well as the
cached profile on the local machine.  That hasn't worked for me thus far.
Any suggestions on how to fix this are very welcome.  It would also be
very helpful to know if anyone has any explanations for why this happens.
I'm running this domain on a Debian Woody Linux kernel version 2.4.16-xfs
server with Samba 2.2.2.  My smb.conf is as follows:

smb.conf
[global]
        netbios name = server
        workgroup = acpl2
        os level = 65
        comment = Albany County Public Library File Server
        allow hosts = 192.168.1. 127.0.0.
        interfaces = 192.168.1.126
        name resolve order = lmhosts hosts bcast
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = YES
        log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
;       debug level = 9
        max log size = 50
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        null passwords = Yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = YES
        local master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        wins support = YES
        time server = Yes
        logon path = "\\%L\profile\%U"
        logon home = "\\%L\%U"
        logon drive = h:
        logon script = startup.bat
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_KEEPALIVE

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browsable = No
        writeable = Yes