Authenticating email off samba PDC (Was: Suggestions for best solution)

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Dec 19 13:07:02 GMT 2001

The easiest way, and the way we use, is to run uw-imap (which provides pop3, pop3s,
imap and imaps) with authentication via pam_smb. In fact, all our authentication is
via pam_smb, even for our desktop linux boxes (in combination with LDAP).

UW-IMAP might not be the best server out there (apparently Courier IMAP performs
better), but it:
-is standards compliant
-supports ssl
-supports imap
-is officially part of most linux distros

pam_smb can be found here:
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied/pam_smb/

Redhat 7.2 includes pam_smb, and you can find RPMs for Mandrake 8.0/8.1 at
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake

Shout if you want a sample pam config file for /etc/pam.d/{imap,pop3,pop3s,imaps}

Buchan