Newbie questions ahoy

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Sun Dec 16 14:28:01 GMT 2001

>Message: 7
>Subject: Newbie questions ahoy
>From: Richard Cunningham <masterplan at barrysworld.com>;
>To: samba-ntdom at lists.samba.org
>Date: 14 Dec 2001 10:17:04 +0000
>
>Hi, I've been asked to set up a small linux network at a school where i
>am currently a ICT technicnan, we have numerous NT servers, and we have
>a old p2 333 server which is going to be the new linux server for
>teaching the kids how to use\setup linux (deathwish if you ask me.) but
>anyway, I need to know if it is..
>
>1) Possible to make a log-in script in linux so it automounts their home
>directory on the main fileserver

No, login scripts can't be executed. It is however (apparently) possible to set
pam_mount to automatically mount directories when a user logs in, even for use as
their home directory. I have just compiled RPMs of this for Mandrake 8.1 (available
at http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/mandrake8.1), but I can't seem to get it to
work yet ... (it does umount the directories I have set up at logout, but it doesn't
yet mount them at login ...)

>2) Able to get a list of all the users from the main server to the linux
>server without having to type them all up

For this you will need to use winbind, which is only available in samba-2.2.2 at
present. Mandrake 8.1 RPMs of samba-2.2.2 with working winbind are available at
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/. For associated docs see
http://mandrakeuser.org/connect/csamba5.html#winbind

>If you have any suggestions\how-to's or anything please let me know, ta
>:)

Regards,
Buchan