WinBind and ?????

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Sun Dec 16 13:18:02 GMT 2001

>Message: 1
>From: "Robby Tanner" <rtanner at cls.usask.ca>;
>To: <samba-ntdom at lists.samba.org>;
>Subject: WinBind and ?????
>Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:23:20 -0600
>
>A while ago, there was some talk about an effort to merge to branches of the
>tree. These two branches would make integration into an NT environment
>smoother, and provide the same file-based permission granularity as NT (as
>opposed to the Unix file permissions). WinBind was one of them and I can't
>remember the other.

That would be samba-tng and samba. samba-tng provided better support for domain
controlling and membership, but most of that functionality is in the current alpha
releases of samba-3.

>I wish to to accomplish the same sort of file permission control as NT file
>servers have on their shares. I asked this question a while ago, and found
>that someone had done it for BSD. Is this now possible with the Linux port
>of Samba?

Samba-2.2.2 supports ACLs on certain filesystems (XFS and ACL-patched ext2) and
winbind. Winbind is however improving in samba_2_2 cvs, and will hopefully be better
in samba-2.2.3.

>Please excuse me if the terms I'm using are not very articulate. I'm not
>that familiar with the issues surrounding SMB.

If you have not got a significant investment in a particular distribution, the
easiest way to get working ACLs and winbind under linux is to install Mandrake 8.1
(use XFS for data partitions you wish to share out with ACLs) and upgrade to
samba-2.2.2, rpms ( with working XFS ACLs and almost-out-the-box winbind) of which
can be found in the unsupported directory of cooker or at
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba. XFS quotas work in the updated kernel,
and are supported by samba. There is also some documentation on setting up winbind
at http://mandrakeuser.org/connect/csamba5.html#winbind.

The only other linux distribution which supports ACLs out the box (AFAIK) is SGI's
installer for Redhat, and I am not sure if they have ACL support in their samba RPMs.

Regards,
Buchan