Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 connections to a domain.

Greg Boug gboug at unico.com.au
Wed Dec 12 18:33:06 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I'm attempting to get a Windows NT or 2000 computer hooking into a
domain. I have a Windows NT 4.0 server running as the PDC, though
it is on a completely seperate subnet to the NT clients. To counter
this, I have placed a Samba 2.0.7 server on the same network, and have
had that machine join the domain. This machine is now running in
security=domain mode, and is also set to accept domain logins, etc.

Upon attempting to get a Win2k machine to connect to the domain on
this seperate subnet, I get the following error:

	"The following error occurred attempting to joing the domain
	 'DOMAIN':

	 The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials"

This implies any of a number of things to me:

	1. I got the password wrong (Not likely, unless somehow my caps lock
	   key has jammed up)
	2. Its not liking the fact that there was once a computer of the
	   same name on the network. I have pre-created the machine account
	   on the PDC and gotten this error, but the error is also present
	   when the machine account is not present.
	3. Samba server isn't doing the "right thing" (tm) with the credentials
	   it is given... (Most likely due to a configuration problem)

Logging on the PDC (Yay event viewer, one of the most useless logs of all
time) indicates the PDC is not even being _asked_ about the credentials I
supply. I turned on all auditing in User Mangler for Domains and still got
no info.

I have been running on debug level 3, which produced the following in the
log.nmb logfile, which is probably the only line in the logfile at that
point in time that I'm not sure what it means...

[2001/12/13 12:30:28, 3] nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(248)
  process_logon_packet: SAMLOGON request from CLIENT(x.x.x.x) for
  CLIENT$, returning logon svr \\SAMBASVR domain DOMAIN code 13 token=ffff

Any ideas what this means??? Code 13 seems to mean that it is a response to
a SAMLOGON (someone want to point me at a description of what a SAMLOGIN
is supposed to be? ;-)

thanks,

Greg